Monday, January 21, 2008

Coping Mechanisms

Ok, so I've gotten really bad at blogging lately. I haven't been on here in ages except to check out everyone else's pages. I decided this morning on the way to work that I would sit down and write something, anything even if it was short. So, here's why I haven't written in a while.

When I get behind in something it usually ends up piling up, like mountains of dishes and laundry and emails and so on and so forth, well it turns out that blogging falls under this too. I used to pride myself on being able to be so organized and all...and well, I guess it just goes to show that pride comes before a fall!

When I look at these mountains of things to do, they all seem SOOOO big that I'll never be able to get to them all so I resort to avoidance, coping mechanism #1. I avoid my kitchen, laundry room, email inbox, phone etc until there's no possible way to do so any longer. Finally, when dishes have piled themselves as high as they can go (I actually do have a reason for this, my dishwasher broke this week and it hasn't been fixed yet, so I had to take everything out of it and pile it next to the pile that was going to go in there next etc.) and H doesn't have anything clean left to wear (behind on this because of stupid dishwasher) and when I call my voicemail and it says, "You have 20 new messages..." I know I need to buckle down and do something.

Coping mechanism #2 is: reasoning/explaining, see last paragraph. :)

Coping mechanism #3: is procrastinating. So now I know that all these things are needing to be done, we need clean dishes, clothes, I should return my messages...etc. I find all sorts of other things I'd rather do, like read...falling back into C.M. #1: avoidance. Then I finally buckle down and start one project: write down all voicemail messages. Ok, ok and start calling people back. (C.M. #2: I'm on the phone ALL day at work so I don't really enjoy talking on the phone much if I'm not required to. Don't get me wrong, I love talking to all of you, it's just overwhelming at times)

I probably have many more C.M.'s but, can't think of them at the moment and really 3 is enough to list here right!? So, this is why I haven't written, or called you back or invited you to dinner or etc etc. :) But, I can tell you that all the dishes in my house are now clean as well as our laundry and I am making my way through my list of calls/emails to respond to so hang on and I'll be in touch soon...if you're waiting to hear from me.

This wasn't as hard as I thought it would be! Have a great day!

0 comments: