Thursday, April 10, 2008

Getting fit

So, I've decided to tackle my issues with stress eating this year and really get my rear in gear- literally. I've usually associated exercising with the picture above-PAIN, AGONY, YUCK. But have since changed my viewpoint and am just starting to actually enjoy it, or at least am enjoying how I feel after I've actually done something! Up until having H and IG leaving I'd always been either average or a little overweight and only needed to change my eating habits to lose weight. Then I had a baby and when IG left I started stress eating, mindlessly shoving food into my mouth and regretting it later. So with my 10 year reunion coming up, I decided I had to get serious! I hired AJ Benson, my old manager, who is now a personal trainer to get me moving and boy did she ever. Not only was she 5 months pregnant when we started, but she could still out sit-up, and out run me any day. I swear the exercises she gave me were to try and kill me, I was in agony, pain everywhere, I'm talking I didn't want to move a muscle after working out with her because everything hurt. But as they say, "no pain, no gain".
I'm so excited that I have already dropped over 12 pounds and am running (up to 2 miles so far) and strength training 5 out of 7 days a week and I'm seeing results. I can't wait to keep working out. Now, I don't think to myself everyday, "Yay, I get to work out", but I do think to myself, "Yay, I am doing something good for me and am showing H what a 'healthy' lifestyle looks like." I don't want her to have the same issues I have with exercise and eating as she gets older. I realize now what kind of impact my own mom had on my viewpoints with all that and want to make sure I don't pass on any negative food/exercise associations to her.
So, anyway, yay for exercise...I think... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you Arika.
Keep it up. Haddie is lucky to have you as a mom.

Anonymous said...

I miss you so much! I got your comment on my blog and it was weird because i had a dream with you in it that night. I don't remember it at all though... sorry :)
I love you and your baby so so much. She is just too stinkin cute.
Anyhoo, Call me sometime and we'll catch up. I need to hear your voice. Maybe I can call this weekend when we have free minutes. I got a new cell plan that has unlimited texting too - that might be fun to do. But, I'll try to get in touch with you soon and I'll send you my recipe for bread tomorrow if I can.
Love
Pammy